What: Lush Toothy Tabs in Sparkle and Dirty
We were down to a few squeezes of toothpaste from the traditional plastic tube. I wanted to experiment and use homemade toothpaste. I documented that DIY Trial here, however, my husband was not a big fan of the taste so I had to find an alternative before our regular toothpaste ran out. I had read that LUSH made these tablet toothpaste. Thankfully, there is a LUSH store close to me I was able to grab two boxes to try out. I grabbed the two that seemed most similar to the old toothpaste in flavor.
This product has been independently bought and reviewed by me. No compensation was received from the maker of this product.
Update Oct-6: LUSH re-released this product in new packaging and in a powder form. See latest review here of those changes.
- DIRTY: This one is the most similar with spearmint undertones. There is some baking soda taste, but very minimal.
- SPARKLE: This one has lemon and pepper. I could taste the subtle hint of pepper, just a hint of spice but that was about it. Not overpowering at all as flavors. For both of these you do taste the baking soda slightly.
- Application Type
- This is a solid tablet that you pop in your mouth. You'll need to crush it for a few seconds. You then wet your toothbrush and brush regularly. It will foam like the old toothpaste. This was a big plus for my husband as he had a hard time with the coconut toothpaste not sudsing up making him feel like his mouth was not clean. Crunching this in your mouth feels weird at first as it seems like you are about to take a pill, but it dissolves pretty quickly and brushes well.
- Ingredients (straight from the LUSH site)
- DIRTY Toothy Tabs: Dicalcium Phosphate , Sodium Bicarbonate , Cream of Tartar (Potassium bitartrate) , Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate ,Sorbitol , Kaolin , Spearmint Oil (Mentha spicata) , Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara) , Sodium Saccharin ,*Limonene , *Linalool , Flavor . *Occurs naturally in essential oils
- SPARKLE Toothy Tabs: Dicalcium Phosphate , Sodium Bicarbonate , Cream of Tartar (Potassium bitartrate) , Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate ,Sorbitol , Kaolin , Lemon Peel Powder (Citrus Limonum) ,Sicilian Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum) , *Limonene , Black Pepper Oil (Piper nigrum) , Grapefruit Oil (Citrus paradisi), Fair Trade Organic Black Pepper Powder (Piper nigrum),Fine Sea Salt (Sodium Chloride) , Sodium Saccharin ,*Citral , *Linalool , Flavor . *Occurs naturally in essential oils
- Product Packaging
- Packaged in a thin cardboard box. No plastic here! One caveat, while the cardboard can be composted, it is very easy to get wet. Once it gets wet, the tabs will dissolve. I would recommend transferring into a small glass container to be kept by the sink to protect the tablets.
- Around $5 for one box which contains 40 tablets. Definitely expensive, but you are exchanging it for the standard product that is made of plastic and of artificial ingredients.
- Where to Buy
- LUSH has stores around the world and online. I bought two boxes at our local LUSH in New York city.
- Shipping Packaging
- I am not sure how it is shipped and delivered.
This is a buy for my husband and myself. Mainly for my husband. This gets the job done while being having less artificial chemicals and no plastic to worry about.