I made this cake for my husband's birthday. Partly, because he doesn't like to eat anything with gluten in it and partly because I had all of the ingredients at home. Majority of the ingredients were bought in bulk with the exception of the semi-sweet chocolate chips. I like the Enjoy Life chips and bought a few bags of it a few months back. He has also been adding chia and flax seeds to his peanut butter so I wanted to add those as well. I found dates, flax and chia seeds in bulk at our local Wholefoods.
- 1 cup of Medjool pitted dates (around 23 pieces)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 and 1/2 of all purpose gluten free mix
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- Optional: semi sweet chocolate chips
- Let the dates soak in the water for around 15 minutes.
- Place the dates into your stand mixer.
- Mix in your ripe bananas.
- Mix in your eggs and vanilla.
- Add the rest of your dry ingredients: all purpose gluten free mix, cocoa, chia and flax seeds.
- Scrape the sides and mix until the dates have broken down significantly.
- Let stand for another 15 minutes.
- Spray an 8x11 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for around 20 minutes.
- Optional: add semi-sweet chocolate chips on the top and let it melt
Goes well with espresso or coffee!