Experiment 1: Homemade Dish Soap
Trial 1 Results: Partially Successful
Strategy: Followed the recipe and instructions from Natures Nurture Blog to make the soap. Because I had to convert baking soda to washing soda following the instructions from the blog, I ended up putting the washing soda last. I also used eucalyptus oil.
Findings: Soap foams up nicely. Not as much as a regular detergent from my experience. It cleans up nicely, but again not as well as I was used to with the standard detergent. I am going to continue using it until I finish it. When I make it again next time, I want to use actual washing soda as I am not positive I was able to convert baking soda properly. I also want to try lemon oil and follow the step by steps instructions as described.
Update June 2, 2016: I remade this one more time, but the consistency never came out what I expected so I moved on and instead found an dish soap alternative that is manufactured using zero waste guidelines called Ecos Laundry. So far that is working as expected.