Second week down and definitely feeling good. I had a chance to also visit my sister and catch-up with her. She had told me at the end of her Week 1, she was tasting metallic taste in her mouth. That worried me a little bit because I had never experienced that. After some research, we figured it might have been ketosis with her body reacting to the lack of carbohydrates or calories being consumed. It went away after a few days thankfully.
We are still in the process of getting our parents to understand whole30. It's not about counting calories or fat or just avoiding gluten. Hopefully, by the end, they will have a clearer picture of what it means to be on whole30 and some of the positive results.
What Went Well
- I was able to refuse the temptation of summer treats. Sometimes you associate certain actions like going to the beach with also getting ice cream, but this time it was ok.
- My husband and I have been eating at home almost 95% of the time which makes whole30 easier and saves us a good deal. It has also reduced temptation.
- I made a few meals in large batches to save time and ensure we always had something in the fridge.
What Did Not Go Well
- I skipped breakfast on one of the days and just had a banana and some almond butter. It ruined my day. I felt lethargic just the whole day through. Nauseous too1 Not good.
- I am getting tired of preparing, cutting and cooking meals.
What Can Be Improved
- I need more variety across all of my meals. Even though it's only been 2 weeks, I feel like I am eating the same things. ore.
- I definitely need to eat more. I have been more active in preparation for our Machu Picchu hike and because the weather has been so nice.
Hawaiian Poke Salad
- Fresh sashimi from your fish monger
- All vegetables should be chopped into cubes, around the same size as the sashimi
- 2 ripe mangos
- 1 cucumber with the seeds removed
- half a Bell pepper
- 1 stalk of green onion
- 1/2 tsp of sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- Mix it all together and voila sashimi salad for two
- 1 cauliflower head pulsed until it has the consistency of rice
- 2 ripe tomatoes chopped with the seeds removed
- 1 cucumber chopped with the seeds removed
- 1/2 of a Bell pepper
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
This is a good base for any protein. I had it as a side to my salmon cakes, roasted chicken and peppers and steak.